There are two procedures on the System homepage which create new households for students after they leave your school: Create Alumni Households and Create Former Student Households.
These procedures are typically run during the summer months between school years but — for some reason or another — it sometimes isn't run until after the summer months end. You may wonder about data integrity and be concerned that it is a problem to run these procedures if the new school year has already started.
You do not need to worry. These procedures look for Alumni or Former Students who are not in their own households and creates new households for them. Neither of these procedures affect students and, therefore, can be run at any time.
You can use the 'Person Salutation' function field which allows you to configure specifically which of the salutations you would like to display. You can see in the screenshot below that once you add that field to your query design you can specify the salutation in the properties on the right:
The factors that determine the parent hierarchy (parent 1, parent 2, parent 3, and parent 4), are found below:
Note: a tie in one level is resolved by checking the next level down.
- custody status + relationship type = (mother, father) (missing either element will result in a value for this criterion is 0 for this criterion; having both results in a value of 1)
- residency status (if the child lives in the same household as the related person, the value for this criterion is 1; otherwise 0)
- relationship type (father > mother > guardian > step-father > step-mother)
- gender (none > male > female > user-defined genders)
- first name (alphabetical)
- last name (alphabetical)
fPerson records can have photos attached to them. If you want to query for person records without a photo, you need to look for photos with the default "person shadow" that the system uses when no photo has been uploaded. To do this:
- Run a Find People (or any person query), available on most homepages.
- In the query design, pull in the "Photo" field.
- Set the field criteria to: https://res.cloudinary.com/veracross/image/upload/v1590100679/default.png
- If you set the operator to "begins with" or "contains" or "is," the search will return person records with the "person shadow" image, i.e., records without an uploaded photo.
- If you set the operator to "does not contain" or "is not," the search will return person records that do have a photo uploaed.
- Apply other edits to the design and run the query.
Titles (or Name Prefixes) prepend names; examples of them are Ms., Mr. or Dr. Titles are school-specific, therefore, they can be added or removed as they wish. If you wish to add or remove a name prefix or title, you should open a ticket with Veracross Support.
Once a title has been added, the sort order for drop-down menus for this field can be adjusted using this query. Lower numbers appear closer to the top of the drop-down options.
You can view your school's list of existing titles (name prefixes) by clicking on the Name Prefixes query.
To change the sort order, click into the Sort Key field for the title to be adjusted, make your change, and click Update Records. The lower the number, the higher the name prefix appears on the list in drop-down menus.
For security purposes, Veracross is designed to only look for email addresses in the Email_1 field on the person record, so emails cannot be sent to multiple emails stored on a single person record.
In order to send business and personal emails to separate email accounts for the same person, you can create separate person records, one for their faculty role and a second for their parent role associating the school and personal email addresses with each. It is important to communicate with your staff that this is an intentional duplicate person so they aren't accidentally merged.
There are many options for storing electronic media about members of your community, but the simplest is to add the link to their person record.
On all person detail screens, under the "Other" folder there is a tab "Links". Click the green "Add Record" button and edit the row that appears on the tab below. There are fields for School Year, Classification, Description, URL, Parent Portal Display (for students only), and a Notes field. School year and classification are optional fields; you can add a link record with only a URL if relevant.
Depending on your reasons for preserving the media articles, it may be relevant to explore Individual events.
First, put one of the divorcing parents into their own household:
- Run a Find People query or otherwise navigate to the person record of the spouse who is moving out.
- Click the Action menu (lightning bolt) and click Create New Household For Person.
Then, update information as needed:
- Update the Marital Status field (on the General tab) for both of the former spouses.
- Update the household information (e.g., address) in the new household.
- Navigate to the Related People tab and update the relationships as appropriate.
Keep in mind that household is separate from relationship status, so for instance, you could move one parent to a new household using the "Create New Household For Person" procedure without updating the relationships, and conversely, you could update the relationships to "former husband/wife" without moving one of them into their own household.
To indicate that a person has passed away, navigate to the Other tab of the person record and populate the Date of Death field. If the Date of Death is not known, you may enter a date that is used internally to represent an unknown date of death, such as 1/1/1901. When this field is updated, the system does the following:
- Most salutations are removed from the person’s record. The exception to this is when informal salutations have either ‘Append HS Grad Year’ or ‘Append Attributes’ flagged. If this is true, then those portions of the salutation are not erased — the ‘Deceased’ attribute and a graduation year are appended.
- If the person has a spouse, the spouse’s salutations are updated to display only their name.
- The household salutations are updated to display only the spouse’s name.
- If the person was the head of the household, this flag is removed.
- The person has the role of “Deceased” added to their list of Roles.
During the nightly scripts, the system:
- Removes all of the relationship flags (legal custody, parent portal access, emergency contact, pickup authorization, etc.).
- Removes the person’s user account.
- Changes relationships from Husband/Wife to Late Husband/Late Wife.
- If the deceased was the only member of a household AND they have no gift records, the household ID is removed from the person record and the household will be removed.
- Removes email addresses and phone numbers.
- Flags the person record as Do Not Mail, Do Not Call, Do Not Solicit.
- Removes all display preferences (display city, state, home phone, spouse name, etc.).
You can use the ‘Lost Address’ procedure on the Household Action Menu to indicate that the address on the Household Record is outdated. Running this procedure will clear out the address data on the Household Record ‘General’ tab and insert an individual event called ‘Lost Address.’ The address data that was cleared will be recorded in the ‘Notes’ field of the individual event for future reference.
Where do the "Do Not Solicit", "Do Not Email", and "Do Not Call" fields live on an organization record?
These fields do not exist on an Organization detail records like they do on Person records; however, it is possible to pull the "Do Not Solicit" field into an organization query.
Address information lives on the Household record, however, you cannot batch update this information from a query for security purposes.
If you have a large numberof records to update, Veracross can perform an extra cost import for you. Contact your Account Manager for more details.
If the Business Phone field on someone's person record is blank and the person has a primary organization record listed on their Organizations tab, the overnight scripts populates this field using the phone number value listed on the linked Organization record.
This tab shows a list of master attendance records of all faculty/staff that the person has substituted for during the current school year. There is also a "Substitute Notes" field that can be pulled into commonly used queries like:
- Find Master Attendance
- Find Staff/Faculty
There is a field called ‘Multiple Households’ that is automatically set to ‘yes’ when a student has one or more parents with legal custody who live in separate households. This field can be pulled into a ‘Find Students’ query, seen here:
The Legacy Person ID — and other "legacy" fields on the person, household, and organization records — are intended to carry an identification number from a third party platform over to Veracross.
Schools often insert legacy ID values during implementation as part of the mapping between their old "legacy" database and their Veracross database. It is often necessary to preserve these legacy IDs to support a third party integration that use the ID values for data mapping.
Talk to your account manager if you are unsure of the purpose of the legacy IDs in your system.
The Head of Household (HOH) designation only shows up in Axiom, not in the Portals. In Axiom, you can find the HOH designation on the General tab of the Household record.
New organization roles can be added for your school upon request. To add custom organization roles, please submit a ticket through the Support Portal with the requested updates.
Person photos appear in numerous places throughout the system (e.g., person records and in portals). These person photos must be in one of the following file formats:
To learn more about uploading person photos in Veracross, please read our documentation.
Does the "Receives Invoices" flag on a related person record have any functionality? Is that how parents see an invoice in their portal?
Depending on whether you are looking at the Veracross (VCX) side or Accounting (VCA) side of your database, the "Recieves Invoices" flag on a relationship record has different funcitonality.
On the VCX side, this flag has no functionality other than it can be pulled into queries and queried upon.
On the VCA side, it is typically used in situations where parents are divorced. The student's residing household is billed, which means all invoices are addressed to the student's household address. In cases where one parent no longer lives in the same household, they will not receive an invoice, nor will they be able to see it in the parent portal (if your school is displaying invoices in the portal). So, if the non-resident parent needs to receive a copy of the invoice or see it in the portal, they need the "Receives Invoices" flag checked in the related person record.
This flag should only be set for non-resident parents/guardians and not for resident parents.
The Primary Email Address field on a Household record is populated from the Email 1 field of the person designated as the 'Head of Household' during the overnight scripts. It can also be added manually, but in this case, the related records are not updated.
The Head of the Household is determined during the nightly scripts based on the following criteria:
- Male Parent
- Any Parent
- Male Adult
- Any Adult
If you wish to manually set the Head of Household as someone else, navigate to the household record and, on the General tab, check who you would like to be the head of the household, uncheck the other person who was previously marked as the head of the ousehold, and click Update.
To adjust the display settings for individual person relationship types on the HPU form, navigate to the Relationships for Family Contacts query on the System homepage. In the list, set the option for the individual types as follows:
- Completely Hidden (will not display)
- Standard Display (allows a user to change the relationship type)
- Read Only (value can be viewed but not changed)
Organizational education information — such as other schools and organizations a person has a relationship with — are stored on three different tabs on a person record:
- Lists all organizations for an individual regardless of organization type
- Shows a reciprocal link on the organization record itself
- Only displayed on certain person record types
- Shows all organizations with a type of School or College/University
- Shows a reciprocal link on the organization record itself
- Only displayed on particular record types
- Not related to the Organization and Schools tabs
- Used to enter education records when you want to record additional information (e.g. Degree Year, Major, etc.)
- Displayed on all record types
The information entered on each tab depends on where it originates from, but you can always update a record to move it to the Education tab to maintain consistency.
The Alumni Equivalent profile code can be assigned to any person, resulting in that person then being treated as alumni throughout the system.
The Alumni Equivalent profile code may be found on any person record under the Profile Codes tab in the System category.
Why is the number of resident and non-resident students blank even though the person is a parent of a current student?
The # of Resident Students field captures all students who live in the person’s household.
The # of Non-Resident Students field captures all students who do not live in the person’s household that they have legal custody of.
If someone is the parent of a current student and does not have legal custody and the student is not part of their household, these fields will be blank.
Education Degrees and Education Majors can be modified using the corresponding queries found in the Other section at the bottom of the middle column on the System homepage.
To add a new degree or major record:
- Click the Add button on the System homepage.
- Select the corresponding record type from the drop-down list (they are located close to the bottom).
- Enter the Description, set the Sort Key, and adjust the Display on HPU? flag as needed.
- Click Add [RecordType] button in the action menu to create the new record.