Person, Household, and Organization Management FAQ

Can I run the "Create Alumni or Former Student Households" procedures at any time?

There are two procedures on the System homepage which create new households for students after they leave your school: Create Alumni Households and Create Former Student Households

These procedures are typically run during the summer months between school years but — for some reason or another — it sometimes isn't run until after the summer months end. You may wonder about data integrity and be concerned that it is a problem to run these procedures if the new school year has already started.

The Create Alumni Households and Create Former Student Households procedure in the Action menu on the System homepage.

You do not need to worry. These procedures look for Alumni or Former Students who are not in their own households and creates new households for them. Neither of these procedures affect students and, therefore, can be run at any time.

How can I customize Person Salutations on Address Labels for Faculty and Staff?

You can use the 'Person Salutation' function field which allows you to configure specifically which of the salutations you would like to display. You can see in the screenshot below that once you add that field to your query design you can specify the salutation in the properties on the right:

How is parent hierarchy determined (i.e. parent 1, parent 2, parent 3, and parent 4)?

The factors that determine the parent hierarchy (parent 1, parent 2, parent 3, and parent 4), are found below:

Note: a tie in one level is resolved by checking the next level down.

  1. custody status + relationship type = (mother, father)  (missing either element will result in a value for this criterion is 0 for this criterion; having both results in a value of 1)
  2. residency status (if the child lives in the same household as the related person, the value for this criterion is 1; otherwise 0)
  3. relationship type (father > mother > guardian > step-father > step-mother)
  4. gender (none > male > female > user-defined genders)
  5. first name (alphabetical)
  6. last name (alphabetical)

How can I check to see which person records don't have a photo?

Person records can have photos attached to them. If you want to query for person records without a photo, you need to look for photos with the default "person shadow" that the system uses when no photo has been uploaded. To do this:

  1. Run a Find People (or any person query), available on most homepages.
  2. In the query design, pull in the "Photo" field.
    • Set the field criteria to:
    • If you set the operator to "begins with" or "contains" or "is," the search will return person records with the "person shadow" image, i.e., records without an uploaded photo.
    • If you set the operator to "does not contain" or "is not," the search will return person records that do have a photo uploaed.
  3. Apply other edits to the design and run the query. 

Can I add a new title option to the Title drop-down on a person record?

Titles (or Name Prefixes) prepend names; examples of them are Ms., Mr. or Dr. Titles are school-specific, therefore, they can be added or removed as they wish. If you wish to add or remove a name prefix or title, you should open a ticket with Veracross Support.

The title field on a person record.

Once a title has been added, the sort order for drop-down menus for this field can be adjusted using this query. Lower numbers appear closer to the top of the drop-down options.

Where can I view and update the sort order for titles?

You can view your school's list of existing titles (name prefixes) by clicking on the Name Prefixes query.

To change the sort order, click into the Sort Key field for the title to be adjusted, make your change, and click Update Records. The lower the number, the higher the name prefix appears on the list in drop-down menus.

Can I send emails to faculty who are also parents using separate email accounts?

For security purposes, Veracross is designed to only look for email addresses in the Email_1 field on the person record, so emails cannot be sent to multiple emails stored on a single person record.

In order to send business and personal emails to separate email accounts for the same person, you can create separate person records, one for their faculty role and a second for their parent role associating the school and personal email addresses with each. It is important to communicate with your staff that this is an intentional duplicate person so they aren't accidentally merged.

How can we keep track of news and media articles published about members of our community?

There are many options for storing electronic media about members of your community, but the simplest is to add the link to their person record.

An example of electronic media being stored on their person record.

On all person detail screens, under the "Other" folder there is a tab "Links". Click the green "Add Record" button and edit the row that appears on the tab below. There are fields for School Year, Classification, Description, URL, Parent Portal Display (for students only), and a Notes field. School year and classification are optional fields; you can add a link record with only a URL if relevant.

Depending on your reasons for preserving the media articles, it may be relevant to explore Individual events.

How do I manage the person and household records in divorce cases?

First, put one of the divorcing parents into their own household:

  1. Run a Find People query or otherwise navigate to the person record of the spouse who is moving out.
  2. Click the Action menu (lightning bolt) and click Create New Household For Person

Then, update information as needed:

  1. Update the Marital Status field (on the General tab) for both of the former spouses. 
  2. Update the household information (e.g., address) in the new household. 
  3. Navigate to the Related People tab and update the relationships as appropriate.

Keep in mind that household is separate from relationship status, so for instance, you could move one parent to a new household using the "Create New Household For Person" procedure without updating the relationships, and conversely, you could update the relationships to "former husband/wife" without moving one of them into their own household. 

How to I mark someone as deceased and what happens when I mark them as deceased?

To indicate that a person has passed away, navigate to the Other tab of the person record and populate the Date of Death field. If the Date of Death is not known, you may enter a date that is used internally to represent an unknown date of death, such as 1/1/1901. When this field is updated, the system does the following:

  1. Most salutations are removed from the person’s record. The exception to this is when informal salutations have either ‘Append HS Grad Year’ or ‘Append Attributes’ flagged. If this is true, then those portions of the salutation are not erased — the ‘Deceased’ attribute and a graduation year are appended.
  2. If the person has a spouse, the spouse’s salutations are updated to display only their name.
  3. The household salutations are updated to display only the spouse’s name.
  4. If the person was the head of the household, this flag is removed.
  5. The person has the role of “Deceased” added to their list of Roles.

During the nightly scripts, the system:

  1. Removes all of the relationship flags (legal custody, parent portal access, emergency contact, pickup authorization, etc.).
  2. Removes the person’s user account.
  3. Changes relationships from Husband/Wife to Late Husband/Late Wife.
  4. If the deceased was the only member of a household AND they have no gift records, the household ID is removed from the person record and the household will be removed.
  5. Removes email addresses and phone numbers.
  6. Flags the person record as Do Not Mail, Do Not Call, Do Not Solicit.
  7. Removes all display preferences (display city, state, home phone, spouse name, etc.).

What is the functionality of the ‘Lost Address’ procedure on the household action menu?

You can use the ‘Lost Address’ procedure on the Household Action Menu to indicate that the address on the Household Record is outdated. Running this procedure will clear out the address data on the Household Record ‘General’ tab and insert an individual event called ‘Lost Address.’ The address data that was cleared will be recorded in the ‘Notes’ field of the individual event for future reference. 

What is the "Sub" tab on Faculty/Staff person records?

This tab shows a list of master attendance records of all faculty/staff that the person has substituted for during the current school year. There is also a "Substitute Notes" field that can be pulled into commonly used queries like:

  • Find Master Attendance
  • Find Staff/Faculty

How can I find a list of students who have two households?

There is a field called ‘Multiple Households’ that is automatically set to ‘yes’ when a student has one or more parents with legal custody who live in separate households. This field can be pulled into a ‘Find Students’ query, seen here:

To find a list of only those students with multiple households, in your query design set the criteria for that field to ‘is yes,’ and the query results will only list students where that field is checked.

What is the Legacy Person ID?

You can find the Legacy ID fields on the Other tab of records where it is applicable.

The Legacy Person ID — and other "legacy" fields on the person, household, and organization records — are intended to carry an identification number from a third party platform over to Veracross.

Schools often insert legacy ID values during implementation as part of the mapping between their old "legacy" database and their Veracross database. It is often necessary to preserve these legacy IDs to support a third party integration that use the ID values for data mapping.

Talk to your account manager if you are unsure of the purpose of the legacy IDs in your system.

Is it possible to add new Organization Roles?

New organization roles can be added for your school upon request. To add custom organization roles, please submit a ticket through the Support Portal with the requested updates.

What file types can be used for person photos?

Person photos appear in numerous places throughout the system (e.g., person records and in portals). These person photos  must be in one of the following file formats:

  • JPG
  • PNG
  • JPEG
  • GIF

To learn more about uploading person photos in Veracross, please read our documentation.