As of July 12, 2021, this "Learn Veracross" site has been deprecated. It will remain live at least through July 2022, but will no longer be updated. All knowledge content has moved to the new Veracross Community. Please update your bookmarks.
Individual events are used to track interactions with people. They are created and updated automatically as part of group event attendance, admission inquiries, and more, and you can also create your own types and categories to track custom information. This article gives an overview of using individual events to track cases of COVID-19 at your school with a specific use case of two types — suspected and confirmed case — you can apply to persons.
An overview of the steps:
- Create a new individual event category if you need to to set different security permissions than in your normal "health" category.
- Create a new individual event type (or multiple ones).
- Apply individual events of the newly created type(s) to track cases.
Video: The Whole Process
Watch this video to get an overview of the whole process or scroll down to see a screen-by-screen walkthrough.
Step One: Create an Individual Event Category (If Needed)
If you want to track COVID-19 cases with different security permissions than your normal "Health" category, you can create a new individual event category. To do this:
- Navigate to the System homepage.
- Hover over the "Add" menu and select "Individual Event Categories." Supply a category name and abbreviation.
- Click "Add Record" to add security roles and their read/write permissions. Here is where you can consider who should be able to add and view these records.
- Click "Add Individual Event Category."
Step Two: Create New Individual Event Type(s)
You can now create one or more individual event types within your normal "Health" category or the category you just created with different security. To do this:
- Click the Types tab of the individual event category.
- Click Add Record and supply the name of the event type. Repeat for each type.
- Click Update.
- Important: After the screen reloads, click into the newly created event types and check the "Student" flag so that you can add the type to students. See next screenshot.
Step Three: Apply the Individual Events of the New Type(s)
Now that you have your individual event types set up, you can apply them to persons in Axiom. To do this:
- Navigate to the person's record in Axiom and click the Events tab.
- Click Add Record to add the event.
- In this example, you can use the "Suspected" event type to track when a case was suspected and then the "Confirmed" one if it is formally diagnosed.
- For the event date, use the date it actually happened, not when it was reported.
- Supply relevant notes, e.g., how it was communicated to you.
- If you want to do more with tracking, click into the event description (see next screenshot) to enter additional information, for instance:
- Select an "Assigned To Person" and a follow-up person.
- When there is a follow-up, supply the date, check "F/U Complete" (certainly one of the most oddly named fields in Veracross, it stands for "follow-up complete"), and supply notes.
Track and Report
Find Individual Events
Starting with a simple "Find Individual Events" query, you can find all cases you are tracking in a query subtotaled by date, person, etc. If you are using additional fields like "Follow Up Person," you could create a query to display reported cases where someone needs to follow up with the family.
Find Person with the "Individual Event Exists" Function Field
You could create a query to find people with reported cases who were not confirmed. Use it to find who needs to be followed up with.
- Start with a Find Person query.
- Add the "Individual Event Exists" function field set to find the "suspected" cases. Set the field to YES.
- Duplicate the field and set it to look for "confirmed" cases. Set the field to NO.