Module: Academics > Historical Academic Documents
Effective: September 22, 2020
Action Recommended: Enable the new screen on your parent portal or student portal
As part of our new academic document publishing feature, today we are rolling out the ability to control the display of previous years' academic documents in the parent and student portals using the same publishing mechanism used for current year reports. It is disabled by default, but if you choose to take advantage of this feature, you can use the exact same publishing workflow to make available historical academic documents — all of them, some of them, only for particular students, etc.
To publish historical academic documents, here's the big picture:
- Review your historical academic documents. The "All Academic Documents" and "Find Person Academic Document" queries on the Academic Documents homepage are good places to start. All of your historical academic documents have already been created, so you do not need to create them.
- Optionally, change the "Parent Portal Publishing Status" and "Student Portal Publishing Status" on historical person academic document (PAD) records to whatever you want individually or in batch.
- Head to the Portal Admin homepage and pick the parent or student portal. Click the Configuration tab and update the value of the "Enabled" field for "Historical Academic Reports" (it's near the end of the list) to "true." Optionally, review and edit the "Historical Academic Reports" configuration options.
The process for publishing historical academic documents is identical to publishing them for the current year. Since we recently rolled out this publishing workflow, we have already created all of your historical academic documents. Don't worry, publishing is turned off by default! If you decide you want to make previous years' academic documents available in your parent or student portal, here's how to do so:
1. Review Your Historical Academic Documents
Head to the Academic Documents homepage and click the "All Academic Documents" query. This shows you all documents in all grading periods for all years you have been with Veracross. Review the query results to ensure that the list of academic documents is accurate.
You can also use this query in your database to find all historical academic documents.
2. Update the Publishing Status of Documents as Desired
Option 1: Use the "All Academic Documents" Query: To see the specific documents for particular students, click the "Academic Document ID" or "Description" field in "All Academic Documents" query, then click the "Record Review" tab, then "All Existing Records." You can update particular publishing statuses for either portal one at a time right here, or you could do so in batch using options on the Action menu. For example, to unpublish everything for that particular document in the given grading period and year, select "Unpublish All" from the Action menu. Easy!
Option 2: Use the "Find Person Academic Document" Query: This query lets you pull in all students' academic documents across all years, grading periods, so you could, which lets you run a batch update across many documents.
Example: You'd like to publish only last year's final report card to the parent portal, but you have three years' worth of progress reports and report cards published. To accomplish this:
- Run the "Find Person Academic Document" query.
- In the query design, limit it to last school year and all grading periods except the final one.
- Run the query and batch update the "Parent Portal Publishing Status" to "Unpublished" or "Not Published" as desired. Unpublished means that a gray unclickable link is displayed as a placeholder; Not Published means it is not shown at all.
- Design the query again and limit it to all previous school years. Note: You might have thousands of records, so you may want to run smaller batch updates. Learn more about batch updating records.
- Run the query and batch update the "Parent Portal Publishing Status" to "Unpublished" or "Not Published" as desired.
3. Enable Historical Academic Documents in Portals
Historical academic documents are turned off by default. Until you actually enable them in your parent or student portal, they are not accessible in those portals.
To Enable Academic Document Publishing: Head to the Portal Admin homepage and pick the parent or student portal.
- Click the Configuration tab and update the value of the "Enabled" field for "Historical Academic Reports" (it's near the end of the list) to "true."
- Optionally, review and edit the "Historical Academic Reports" configuration options.
There are several parameters in the "Historical Academic Reports" category:
- Enabled: Turns on the feature. Type "true" to enable or "false" to disable.
- Category Icon: You can choose the icon to display on the Student Overview page. These are the same Nucleo icons used in other areas of the system. Discover them here.
- Category Description: You can name the category in the portal interface.
- Link Description: You can name the link itself.
- Grade Level Format: Leave it as "description." This controls how the grade levels display on the actual system screen.