As of July 12, 2021, this "Learn Veracross" site has been deprecated. It will remain live through December 2022, but will no longer be updated. All knowledge content has moved to the new Veracross Community. Please update your bookmarks.
Medical visits can be used by the school nurse to track student visits to the health office. These records integrate with attendance notes, and can also be used to add and track medical screenings that might be required by the school.
To add a medical visit record, select the “Add a Medical Visit” link under “Add” button on the Health homepage. Search for existing medical visit records by using the “Find Medical Visit” query.
To view a specific student’s medical visit record from this query, click “View Detail” in the “Detail” column. If the medical visit is a non-screen related visit, enter the student and visit information on the General tab. If the medical visit is a screen related visit, enter the student and screen information on the Screen tab.
Any medical visit record added will update the “Medical Visits” table on the General tab on the patient detail screen.
Tabs on the Medical Visit Detail
All of the fields on the General tab have tool tips. To see more detail about a field, hover your cursor over the underlined text to see more information. Note the following:
- Medical Provider and Medical Provider Organization: Specify the health care provider or organization for the visit, if applicable.
- Actual Date: Enter the actual date (as opposed to schedule date) of the medical visit. If left blank, it will automatically fill in the current date.
- Times: “Time In” is automatically populated with the time the visit is entered, but it can be modified if needed. For a scheduled visit, toggle “Set Time In” to add the current time (or manually enter) when the student arrives. Enter a “Time Out” when the student leaves, or toggle the “Set Time Out” switch to enter the current time. See below for scheduling future visits.
- Primary Symptom/Condition/Intervention/Disposition Codes: Select each as desired. When the screen is updated, they will populate on the Symptoms, Conditions, Interventions, and Dispositions tabs, respectively.
- Medical Visit Template: Use the drop-down menu to select from the list of medical visit templates to pre-populate the following fields on the visit: purpose, description, and the primary symptom, condition, intervention, and disposition along with their corresponding notes fields. When the visit is added, any fields on the template will be populated.
- Email Visit Result: check the box to automatically send an email with the results of the medical visit to:
- if the patient is a Faculty or Staff — the patient’s email
- if the patient is a Student — all people related to the patient where the following three things are true:
- they have a populated Email 1 field
- they have Custody
- they have the “Receives General Correspondence” permission checked.
Read more about this in the Medical Visit Email Template documentation
- Symptoms/Interventions/Conditions/Disposition Notes Fields: Enter any additional information as desired to capture additional information.
Many of the fields on the Screen tab have tool tips. To see more detail about a field, hover your cursor over the underlined text to see more information. Note that several fields are included on this tab and the General tab, e.g., Visit Purpose, Medical Provider, Actual Date, and Primary Intervention Code, and can be updated on either tab. Note the following fields particular to this tab:
- Visit Purpose, Medical Screen and Screen Purpose: These serve similar functions and can be used as school policy dictates.
- Screen Result Code: Select the result of the screen.
- Screen Result Memo: Enter additional information as needed.
Symptoms, Conditions, Interventions, and Dispositions Tabs
When a primary symptom, condition, intervention, or disposition is added on the General or Screen tab, the corresponding code tab will update automatically. Additional codes can be added on each tab using the input grid, and any codes added on the General or Screen tabs will be logged here.
Tip: To add multiple symptoms, etc. quickly from the General tab, simply select a new symptom, etc., click Update, then the next one, then click Update, etc. Each time Update is clicked, the symptom, etc. is added to the appropriate tab.
Check Use As Template? on the Other tab to select whether this medical visit will be used as a Visit Template. When adding future medical visits, it will be an option in the Medical Visit Template dropdown box (using the Description field as the template name), and can be configured from the Visit Templates link on the Health homepage.
Class Attendance Tab
Medical Visits integrate with class attendance notes based on the “Time In” and “Time Out” times. Whenever one or more classes overlap with the time range a student is in a medical visit, the class attendance notes will be updated for the class(es).
If only a Time In is specified, only a class that overlaps with that time will be indicated. If a Time Out is also specified, the class notes will be populated for classes that overlap for the duration of the visit.
Note that only the Notes field on Class Attendance is updated, not the Attendance Status itself. The Class Attendance tab provides a convenient place to quickly update the attendance as desired, but will be based on the individual school’s policies.
Scheduling Future Visits
Visits can be scheduled in the future. To do this, simply add a new medical visit according to the above instructions, but instead of entering the actual date and time in, set scheduled date, time, and duration.
When the visit occurs, the nurse can access the visit from the Upcoming Visits query on the Health homepage and enter all information as needed, including adding an Actual Date, Time In, and Time Out as desired. Both of the Times can be set manually or by clicking the “Set” toggles to populate with the current time.
Note that Health Kiosk visits are recorded as scheduled visits. Learn more about the Health Kiosk.