As of July 12, 2021, this "Learn Veracross" site has been deprecated. It will remain live at least through October 1, 2021, but will no longer be updated. All knowledge content has moved to the new Veracross Community. Please update your bookmarks.
The Guidance Module enables the guidance office staff to gain insights into students’ careers at the school and help plan and track their college application process. In addition to insight into the Transcript and Test Scores, this module enables tracking and reporting on student College Applications.
College Application data can be used both for workflows (tracking and internally managing students applications and references) and reporting (reviewing and formulating reports to analyze which schools students are applying to and then attend, reporting on the results year over year, and more).
The Guidance Module is included as a part of Core Academics and is not a separate extra cost module.
Guidance-Related Security and Permissions
One advantage of the Guidance homepage is that the Guidance_1 security role provides direct access to queries that users might not otherwise have.
- Guidance_1: The Guidance_1 security role provides access to the Guidance module, which includes college applications and standardized test scores. Users with this security role also have access to view Transcript Documents and Transcript Items (read only). Guidance does not have access to Report Cards or grade records. For full read/write access to Transcripts data, Division_head_3 or SysAdmin_1 security is needed.
- Standardized_Test_Reader: Read-only access to test score data for all students whose school level matches one of the user’s school levels.
- Standardized_Test_Admin: Full read-write access to test score data for all students whose school level matches one of the user’s school levels.
- Admissions_1 or _2: Not strictly a part of the Guidance module, this security role is mentioned here because it grants access to Test score data, which may be relevant to Guidance Module users. Admissions security roles do not grant access to College Applications or Transcripts data.
The Guidance Homepage
The Guidance homepage provides a place to manage students’ college application processes, particularly college applications and references by providing quick access to student- and college-related related queries, student schedules, and several other features helpful to guidance counselors such as the “Where is Student/Teacher Now?” queries.
- General Section: A number of queries and reports are provided that are relevant to the work of guidance counselors, e.g. Find College Applications, Find Students, etc. There are also several “Add” buttons (functionality also accessible from the “Add” button in the top right) and “Where is…” queries.
- Test Scores: Displays queries for relevant test scores. Note that this section is deprecated pending further development. Read full documentation about managing standardized test types and standardized test score types.
- College Applications: This section contains a number of queries helpful in creating workflows and running reports. They can be used as they are or as starting points for building custom queries to manage how the school’s guidance counselors are making use of various fields available on college application and reference records.
- Reports: See reports relevant to students’ current work at the school, e.g., their schedule, attendance, and grades.
- My Reports: This section is deprecated and pending further development. Its purpose, pre-Workspaces, was to show saved queries. In Axiom, saved queries are accessed via Workspaces.
- Other: Other links that can be helpful to access directly, e.g., the school calendar.
The two key record types unique to the Guidance module are:
- College application record type: Contains all information for a student’s application to a particular school, including a number of fields useful for creating workflows, such as application status, due dates, application type (early decision, etc.), notes, and checklist items.
- Reference record type: References (or recommendations) can be associated with college applications. Use the reference record to track who is writing these references, when they are due and completed, etc.
Use College Applications and References to track students’ progress as they prepare their applications, including dates when certain application and checklist items are due.
The College Application: Workflows and Reporting
Many of the fields available on the college application record can be used for helpful workflow management and reporting.
Various kinds of workflows can be built around due dates and assignees. Various kinds of reports (pipelines, etc.) can be built around status, dates, and more. The key is to establish good practices of recording and maintaining data about relevant information.
The Guidance homepage provides several reports in the “College Applications” section:
- My References to Complete: Shows any incomplete college references needed from the currently logged in user. Note that this query could be sent to ANY Axiom user with references regardless of their specific security profile, because when they log in and view the query results, they will see their own references.
- Applications in Preparation and Coming Due: See applications with the “In Preparation” status and those coming due by the end of next week.
- College Decisions and Applicant Decisions Coming Soon: Based on application checklist items’ completion and dates, see upcoming college and applicant decisions.
- References Coming Due and Overdue: See upcoming and overdue college references.
- Application Status by Student and School: Get an overview of the college application process broken down by student and school.
- Acceptances and Enrollments by Student and School: View an overview of acceptances and enrollments.
Schools can create custom queries in addition to the ones provided. Here are some examples of workflows, reporting options, and recommendations for best practices based on the college application record:
- Use the Due Date field to create queries used by guidance counselors to easily view applications coming due in a certain number of days, weeks, or months.
- Establish a practice in the Guidance office to review all college applications at the end of college admissions season and make sure that the “Student Enrolled” field is checked for all applications to colleges in which students enroll. This permits year-over-year reporting to track which colleges students attend.
Application Record: General Tab
- College: Colleges are organizations in Veracross. Accurately recording the colleges to which students apply will enable useful reporting so that your school can see which colleges students are applying and enrolling at.
- Application Type: Specify what kind of application this is. It could be updated if, for instance, a student is not accepted as an early decision candidate but then maintains the application for regular decision. The records are not designed to track historical information, so it is recommended to make a note in the Notes field if anything about the application is changed. Note that there is an audit log available as well.
- Due Date and Completed Date: Useful for workflows, e.g., by creating queries that show applications with due dates coming in the coming days/weeks, or by created queries that exclude completed applications.
- Application Status and Student Enrolled: The Application Status is useful for creating workflows, especially in combination with other fields such as Due Date, to create queries that, for instance, show all applications that are “in preparation” with a due date in the next week. Check Student Enrolled if the student is enrolled at the college. This field is useful for reporting on which colleges students attend.
Application Record: Checklist Tab
Checklists can be used to manage particular aspects of students’ college admissions. Schools should contact their account manager to edit the checklist items.
Header Dates: Enter a due date and checklist completed date. These dates can be useful in creating reports that show applications with completed checklist items.
Checklist Items: Each checklist item has its own field for:
- Required: Check if it is required or not. There is no functionality tied to this field, but can be helpful in creating queries to tack outstanding required checklist items
- Scheduled and Completed Date: Enter dates to track and manage specific checklist items.
- Completed: Check when the item is completed.
- Notes: Record individual notes for each item, which can be helpful to record special circumstances surrounding a particular item.
Checklist Item Detail Screen
- Action Person: Indicate a person responsible for the checklist item. These records are not visible to users without the Guidance_1 security role. this can help facilitate specific follow-up workflows.
- Completed Online: Select “Yes” if completed online.
- Scholarship Type: If this checklist item corresponds to a scholarship as a part of the college application, select the relevant scholarship type, if applicable.
None of these three fields have other functionality tied to them, but they can be useful in creating reports to manage the application process. The Action Person field, for instance, could be pulled into a Find College Application Checklist query on the Guidance homepage to look for outstanding tasks for which they are responsible.
Application Record: References Tab
View and add references (recommendations) associated with particular applications. Open a particular reference record to view the detail screen. No additional functionality is tied to any fields, but they are helpful in managing the process. For instance, indicating the reference person and due date enables reports to be run showing upcoming references that are due for particular people who could then be emailed reminders. Moreover, indicating the person responsible enables them to access their own recommendation responsibilities in Axiom and update the recommendations themselves.
Note that the “Reference Text” field could be used to hold the actual reference that is written. Teachers and administrators often write their own and submit them online, but copying and pasting the text can be helpful here as a record, and to enable that recommender to view their text later on for comparison.
Application Record: Files Tab
Attach relevant files for the application, such as PDF copies of college admissions requirements, scanned recommendations, and whatever other files are associated with this college application.
The Guidance module enables your school to maintain college applications data, both from a high level and with details, and also enables robust workflows for follow-up and completion of requirements.