The term "Summer School" covers a wide variety of offerings that differ from school to school, ranging from simple class re-takes occurring during the summer to fully-fledged summer camp programs. Given all of the different possibilities, it can be difficult to determine whether or not Veracross supports your scenario and, if so, how to configure the system for your use case.
In this article, we'll discuss the difference between "summer intensives" and "summer programs" - two categories of summer school commonly modeled by schools.
What is a "Summer Intensive"?
Veracross defines a summer intensive as class-based academic activity that acts as an extension of the academic school year for participants in the academic school year, occurring outside of the date range of the ALL grading period.
Other key aspects of a summer intensive include:
- Participants (by role): students and faculty
- Structure: Summer school year record and corresponding Summer grading periods
- Administration: Typically managed by the same personnel as the academic school year
- Assessment: Assignments, grades, report cards, and transcript items (for upper school classes)
- Purpose/Goal: Allow students to complete academic coursework over the summer that will be counted toward their academic progress tracked during the academic school year via credits earned and/or transcript items
- Summer intensives are often structured to allow students to re-take classes taken during the previous school year, complete prerequisite classes ahead of the next school year, or participate in experiential learning for credit (internships, volunteer work, etc)
What is a "Summer Program"?
Veracross defines a summer program as enrichment activity that operates independently of the academic school year for a variety of participants, occurring during the summer months.
Other key aspects of a summer program include:
- Participants: Can include participants in the academic school year as well as persons not associated with the academic school year
- Structure: Typically modeled as date range based sessions
- Administration: Typically managed by different personnel than the academic school year
- Assessment: Typically participatory or intra-session acknowledgment (ribbons, badges, etc)
- Purpose/Goal: Provide child participants with a fun and enriching experience geared toward their interests during the Summer months when they are not in school.
What does Veracross support?
Veracross supports summer intensives and summer programs using different functionality.
- Summer intensives: standard academic functionality using appropriate school year and grading period configurations
- Summer programs: use the extra-cost Program Registration module
Summer Intensives closely resemble the academic school year structurally and are able to make use of much of the same standard academics functionality. For instance, Summer Intensives are able to use the Learning Management System components of the Portals platform; enabling teachers, students, and parents to interact with classes in the same way they do during the academic school year. Grades and Report Cards (using school-configurable documents) can be issued for Summer Intensives and transcript items can be generated and included on transcript documents.
Read more about:
- School Year and Grading Period configuration for Summer Intensives
- Portals configuration for Summer Intensives
- Issuing report cards for Summer Intensives
- Managing transcript items for Summer Intensives
Limitations of Summer Intensives
- Participation is limited to students and teachers who participate in the academic school year - program students and other non-students cannot utilize Learning Management System components of the Portals platform
- Summer grading period date ranges cannot overlap with the academic school year and should be associated with the summer school year record
- The Portals platform does not support concurrently active academic and summer school years
Summer Programs can vary greatly from the academic school year and are best managed in Veracross using the Program Registration module.
Read more about:
Limitations of Summer Programs
- Veracross does not offer a standard Portals experience (for post-registration engagement) for Summer Programs
- Veracross does not offer a Learning Management System solution for Summer Programs
- Veracross does not offer Report Card or other report documents for Summer Programs
- Veracross does not generate transcript items for Summer Programs