An Application Program Interface (API) is an interface that allows third parties to receive data via request calls. The Veracross API is built to connect third party vendors and users, in partnership with schools, to data stored within a school’s database. API requests can be made for various different data points, controlled by different scopes.
When you add an OAuth record for an integration partner, the OAuth credentials will be securely shared with your partner via the Partner Portal.
Adding a new integration partner who can use the Veracross API is a simple process that can be performed by anyone with the OAuth_App_Admin security role; this functionality is not automatically enabled for SysAdmins.
Setting Up a New Partner
- Beginning from the Identity & Access Management homepage, click the "Add Integration Partner" link to open a view of your current integration partners. At the bottom, click the "Add New Partner" link to open a blank Integration Partner record.
- Alternately, click the "+Add New Partner" link in the embedded "Add Integration Partner" screen on the Identity and Access Management homepage.
- Populate the necessary fields on the blank partner record and click "Add New Partner".
- Description, Contact Name, and Contact Email are required fields.
- Click the "Start Integration" link to generate an OAuth Application record for this new partner.
- Once on the record, click "Add OAuth Application" to create and save the record.
- At this point, the OAuth Application record has been created for this integration partner and the contact receives an email guiding them through the next steps to access the Veracross Partner portal.
- After the record is created, we recommend you set the scopes for this partner using the Scopes tab on the OAuth Application record to determine exactly what information this partner can access through the Veracross API.
Setting up SSO via OAuth
Setting up a new SSO is very similar to setting up a new partner. Follow these steps to set up a new SSO:
- Complete steps 1-4 detailed above in the Setting Up a Partner section
- On the Scopes tab, add the "SSO (Single Sign-On)" option to the Active OAuth Scopes section and click Update.
- On the General tab, add the appropriate Redirect URIs/Authorization URLs via the Add Record button and clicking Update.