In the event that it is necessary to refund a deposit that has been posted but not yet fully applied to invoices, the recommended steps are presented below. These steps will allow you to link a refund to a particular deposit item and reduce the amount of the deposit available for future application to invoices.
- On the Cash Processing homepage, click the Add Disbursement link.
- On the header level, enter the appropriate information (e.g disbursement recipient, date, cash GL Account, etc). . Be certain to select “Refund” as the Disbursement Category.
- Click Add Disbursement Header.
- On the line item level, enter the data for the items. Note that the amount entered is a positive amount.
- Click the magnifying glass in the Deposit Item column and search for the deposit to be refunded.
- Click Update.
- If there are additional deposit item(s) to be refunded, enter additional disbursement items in the same fashion. Each deposit item to be refunded must have its own disbursement item.
- When all item and header information has been entered and validated, print the disbursement and then post it.
Please watch the video below demonstrating how to Link a Disbursement to an Unapplied Deposit Item. Start the video by clicking directly on the screen. You can make the video larger by clicking on the Full-screen button.
Once the disbursement is posted, there are multiple changes automatically generated by the system. First, review the detail screen for the deposit that was refunded, you should note the amount refunded is incorporated in the “Refunded Amount” field at the header level. In addition, the “Unapplied Amount” of the deposit is reduced accordingly.
If you review the detail screen for the deposit item, there is a line labeled Refund Amount. This amount is incremented when a disbursement item linked to a deposit item is posted.
When you look at the student’s Finance tab, the amount refunded shows up as part of the Total Refunds and the amount of the Unapplied Deposits is reduced as well.