As of July 12, 2021, this "Learn Veracross" site has been deprecated. It will remain live at least through December 23, 2021, but will no longer be updated. All knowledge content has moved to the new Veracross Community. Please update your bookmarks.
Grades must be posted and locked in order to be considered “finalized” in Veracross. This article covers the specifics of how to perform these actions. Read more about the Timeline for Posting and Locking Grades.
Running the “Post/Lock Numeric Grades” Procedure
To post grades, select “Post/Lock Numeric Grades…” from the Action menu on the school-level homepage. A detail screen will open called “New Post/Lock Numeric Grades” with several options to define the specific procedure to be run and for whom.
Remember to verify the “Posted Grade Decimal Places” system parameter to make sure your grades are posted using the correct number of decimal places.
Only one filter can be selected per posting/locking action.
- School Level. Post/Lock all grades for all students in the selected school level.
- Grade Level. Post/Lock all grades for all students in the selected grade level.
- Class. Post/Lock all grades for all students in the selected class.
- Teacher. Post/Lock all grades for all students the teacher teaches.
- Student. Post/Lock all grades for all classes the student is enrolled in.
An optional setting that can be used, in addition to one of the primary filters, to indicate that only certain classes that end in a particular grading period be posted. For example, this option would allow a school to post “Semester 1” grades for Q1-only classes at the end of Q1 or posting S1-only classes to Final grades at the end of S1.
Each of the below options must have a criteria chosen.
Select the Grading Period for which grades should be posted or locked. Be sure to select the appropriate grading period for the filter chosen.
Select the action that should be taken to post, un-post, lock, or unlock report card grades:
- Post Blank Grades: Post current calculated grades as Posted Grades where the Posted Grade is blank. Any grades that have already been posted will be ignored, e.g., if teachers have already manually posted grades, this procedure will skip over those, even if they are not locked.
- Clear and Re-Post all unlocked grades: Post all calculated grades as Posted Grades. If grades are posted but not locked, grades will be re-posted.
Note: Running this procedure removes grades if there is no calculated grade.
- Lock Only: Lock posted grades to prevent any further changes to grades. Un-posted grades will be ignored. Note: Locking grades will prevent teachers from making changes to their gradebook for this grading period and will prevent all users from updating grades.
- Unlock: Unlock posted grades that have been locked to allow changes to be made.
- Un-post: Clear all unlocked posted grades. Locked grades will be ignored.
Trimester- and Semester-Only Schools
The following options will only appear for Trimester- and Semester-Only schools.
For Trimester and Semester-only schools with exams, actions for posting and unposting Assignment Grades can be selected to post or un-post a pre-exam grade. After posting assignment grades, exam grades should be entered and then the report card posting actions (listed above) should be run. Assignment grades cannot be locked/unlocked — only the entire grade record can be locked/unlocked (using the actions listed above).
- Post Blank Assignment Grades: Post current calculated grades as Assignment Grades where the Assignment Grade is blank. Any grades that have already been posted will be ignored. e.g. If teachers have already manually posted grades, this procedure will skip over those, even if they are not locked.
- Clear and Re-post All Assignment Grades: Post all calculated grades as Assignment Grades. If grades are posted but not locked, grades will be re-posted.
- Un-post Assignment Grades: Clear all unlocked assignment grades. Locked grades will be ignored.
- Complete. Checkbox to indicate if the posting or locking process is complete. This will automatically check when a new action is performed. Once the status is Complete, the action cannot be changed or undone.
- Records Affected. Displays the number of grade records that have been impacted by this action. To see more detail on the affected records, view the “Posting/Locking Status” tab on the detail screen and drill down into the grade level/grading period you wish to see details for.
- Action Date. The date this posting or locked occurred.
- Action User. The user who posted/locked grades.
Recent Posting/Locking Actions
The recent posting/locking actions query is to help the user understand what procedures have been completed recently. The query displays the key components to the recently completed posting or locking procedures so the user can identify what needs to be done next.
Use the posting/locking status tab on the detail screen to get an overview of how many grades are posted, not posted, locked, and not locked for each school level.