As of July 12, 2021, this "Learn Veracross" site has been deprecated. It will remain live at least through October 1, 2021, but will no longer be updated. All knowledge content has moved to the new Veracross Community. Please update your bookmarks.
Membership can be managed on the Members tab of the Portal detail screen and viewed on the Portal Membership tab of the Person Account detail screen. Users are automatically added to the three role-specific portals (Parent, Student, Teacher) based on their security role.
Portal Members in Role-specific Portals
The Members tabs of the Portal detail screen shows which people have access to that Portal, split between enabled and disabled users. Members are automatically added based on security role when their user account is created or the security role is added to the person’s record. In other words, the following security roles and portal memberships should always be in sync:
- Users with the Parent security role are automatically made members of the Parent Portal.
- Users with the Student security role are automatically made members of the Student Portal.
- Users with the Faculty security role are automatically made members of the Teacher Portal.
Changing Status and Platform
To change a member’s status or platform from either of the Members tabs, make the change in the drop-down menu and click Update. Changing a status will automatically move the user to the other Members tab. For example, changing a disabled user’s status to “Enabled” will remove them from the “Members-Disabled” tab and move them to the “Members-Enabled” tab when the screen refreshes.
There are also two Action menu items available from any of the tabs on the Portal detail screen:
- Refresh Portal Membership: “cleans up” portal membership, accounting for security role and user role changes, etc.
- Upgrade All Portal Members: enables and upgrades all portal members to v. 3 (2017) platform. This must be run when changing from Portals 2 to Portals 3 as individual user preferences will not change automatically.
Adding Members Manually
Add a member by clicking Add Record, filling the person’s name, and clicking Update.
Removing Members Manually
Users will no longer have access to a portal when one of the following happens:
- They lose their security role. It could be removed manually or removed in an automatic process, e.g., when students graduate they lose their Student security role.
- Their access is disabled by changing their “Status” column to “Disabled.”
- They are manually removed from the portal by clicking the delete button.
Note that removing a security role manually does not automatically remove them as members in a portal, but since both the security role and membership are required for access, a user who has portal membership but not the correct security role will not be granted access when attempting to log in.
Portal Membership in Content Portals
Membership in a content portal can be defined in two ways:
- By using an upload template to populate the membership.
- By basing it on a security role, e.g., using the Staff security role to determine membership for an Employee Portal.
Portal Membership on the Person Security Detail
The Portal Membership tab of the Person Account detail screen shows which portals to which a user has access. It cannot be modified from this screen.