It is common practice at many schools to institute a review process for teachers’ grades and comments before they are published to progress reports or report cards. Grades and comments can be reviewed by many different people in the school, such as principals, peers (other teachers), or other staff and administrators. Veracross facilitates this process by providing a space for dialogue between the teacher and their reviewer(s) along with the ability for the reviewer to make edits directly to the grades/comments.
This article outlines the various tools located on the Grade & Comment Review homepage that are available to administrators to help oversee the grade and comment review process.
Schools have various processes for reviewing grades and comments. For schools where the responsibility is more distributed, it may be valuable for someone to assume the responsibility of administering the review process. The Grade & Comment Review homepage houses a variety of queries that give a view into the review process as it occurs, valuable insight for the review administrator, as they attempt to guide the process towards completion.
The Grade & Comment Review Homepage and all information contained within is visible to the following Security Roles: All Division Heads (0-3), Registrar, and Faculty_3.
Header Links and Embedded Report
The three reports at the top of the Grade & Comment Review Homepage, and the query embedded right below, answer the questions most commonly asked by Review Administrators.
- Active Review Period Overview: This report, embedded on the homepage, is meant as a quick overview of the entire review process for the active review period. Reviews are broken up by type, giving schools with different types, or multiple tiers, of review insight into each type’s completion status. Clicking the numbers will drill down to a display of the full list of reviews in that status.
- Find Reviews: This query displays all the grade review records that have been created during the current school year. It purposely has few filters and is intended to be used as a search to find a specific review record.
- Reviewer Pipeline: This report answers the question “How are the Reviewers doing?” It is meant to provide insight into which reviewers are lagging behind in the process by breaking down each reviewer’s total reviews into their current statuses.
- Teacher Summary: This report answers the question “How are the Teachers doing?” It is meant to provide insight into which teachers are lagging behind in the process, by breaking down the reviews for each teacher’s students into their current statuses.
The Pipeline section of the Grade & Comment Review Homepage includes school-level specific versions of the Reviewer Pipeline and Teacher Summary from above as well as the Teacher Summary by Reviewer Type reports. These reports are similar to the basic teacher summary but they break out the reviews by type. This is useful for schools with multiple tiers of review, to see which tier of review certain teachers are stuck on.
The Status section consists of reports that highlight sets of reviews which may have special interest to review administrators, broken out by school level.
- Unseen Reviews: Displays all reviews where the reviewer has left a comment but the teacher has not yet seen it.
- Review Comments from this Cycle: Displays all review comments in the review active grading period, sorted so that the most recently completed is at the top.
- Reviews with Back-and-Forth: Displays all reviews from this year in which the teacher responded to the comments left by the reviewer, sorted by the most recent comment at the top.
- Reviews for Kids with Academic Concerns: Displays reviews in which the student has either a major or minor academic concern associated with their grade record, summarized by the student.
While the Status section contains school level specific reports about the active review period, the totals section has a number of longer-term reports.
- Current Year Summary: Displays a breakdown of reviews in each status for each grading period of the current year. This may be especially useful for tracking adoption and correct usage of this process by teachers and reviewers over the course of the first year using the system.
- Current Year Reviewer Comment Totals: Displays the total number of all comments made by each reviewer in the current school year. This report is designed for schools with a large number of reviewers and is intended to provide insight into which reviewers actually provide feedback for the teachers to whom they are assigned.
- All-Time Reviewer Comment Totals: Displays the total number of all comments made by each reviewer over all school years (during which the feature was employed by the school). This gives the same data as the current year report across time.