As of July 12, 2021, this "Learn Veracross" site has been deprecated. It will remain live at least through July 2022, but will no longer be updated. All knowledge content has moved to the new Veracross Community. Please update your bookmarks.
The Veracross Data Importer allows schools to import departments into Axiom for academic use. This import type should be considered an importer only — it allows you to import new departments into Axiom but will not allow you to update existing departments.
On import completion, this process creates new departments in Axiom for use with academic modules.
Uploading departments involves the following two steps:
- Preparing the data for upload using the Department import type template, which is provided before data import on the Importer site.
- Uploading the data using the Veracross Data Importer.
Preparing the Data for Upload
The user must prepare a comma separated value (CSV) file containing all data to import. This file must contain all columns in the order listed below, even if no content is populated in the columns. If there is no content in a column, that row must be left blank.
Fields in the Import Type Template
Rather than a number of required fields, this import type has combinations of "either this field or that field are required" scenarios for different situations. Additionally, there are fields that are always required and are designated as such. More details about these scenarios and requirements can be found in the corresponding Value Considerations column below.
|Column (Field) Name||Value Considerations|
|The "chair" field values are only required if you wish to designate a chairperson of the department (found in the Chair Person column in a Departments query), which in and of itself is not required. If you wish to designate a charperson, the following rules apply:|
chair_person_reference_type and chair_person_reference_value
|chair_vc_person_id||Numeric format. The chair_vc_person_id can be found as the Person ID field in a standard Find Person query.|
Must be an already existing person reference type. This information can be found in a Person Reference Type query. Must be either of the following:
|chair_person_reference_value||Text/numeric format. This value is the reference value in a Find Person Reference Number query.|
|department_name||Required value. Text format. This value is the name of the department being imported. This value can be found in the Description column in a Departments query. This field has a character limit of 100 characters.|
|sort_key||Numeric format. This value is the sort key for the department. This value can be found in the Sort Key column in a Departments query.|
|abbreviation||Text format. This value is the abbreviation for the department and can be found in the Abbreviation column in a Departments query. This field has a character limit of 10 characters.|
In addition to the criteria set in the table above, the Department import type has a number of additional considerations that should be taken into account:
- this import type only inserts new departments — it does not alter existing departments
- if you attempt to insert a department where the department_name matches an already existing department, that particular department is skipped during the import, as it is considered a duplicate.
- it is possible to insert a department with the same abbreviation as another department through this import type; be sure to check that the same abbreviation isn't being used by an already existing department before running the import procedure unless you are intentionally making a department with a duplicate abbreviation.