As of July 12, 2021, this "Learn Veracross" site has been deprecated. It will remain live through December 2022, but will no longer be updated. All knowledge content has moved to the new Veracross Community. Please update your bookmarks.
To indicate that a person has passed away, navigate to the Other tab of the person record and enter the Date of Death. If the Date of Death is not known, the school may enter a date that is used internally to represent an unknown date of death, like 1/1/1901.
When the person’s record is updated, the system will do the following:
- Most salutations will be removed from the person’s record. The exception to this is when informal salutations have either ‘Append HS Grad Year’ or ‘Append Attributes’ flagged. If this is true, then those portions of the salutation are not erased — the ‘Deceased’ attribute and a graduation year are appended.
- If the person has a spouse, the spouse’s salutations will be updated to display only their name.
- The household salutations will be updated to display only the spouse’s name.
- If the person was the head of the household, this flag will be removed.
- The person will have the role of “Deceased” added to their list of Roles.
During the overnight process, the system will:
- Remove all of the relationship flags (legal custody, parent portal access, emergency contact, pickup authorization, etc.).
- Remove the person’s user account.
- Change relationships from Husband/Wife/Spouse to Late Husband/Late Wife/Late Spouse.
- If the deceased was the only member of a household AND they have no gift records, the household ID is removed from the person record and the household will be removed.
- Remove email addresses and phone numbers.
- Flag the person record as Do Not Mail, Do Not Call, Do Not Solicit.
- Remove all display preferences (display city, state, home phone, spouse name, etc.).
Note: If a school does not wish to wait for the overnight process the above can be done manually by a system administrator.