As of July 12, 2021, this "Learn Veracross" site has been deprecated. It will remain live through December 2022, but will no longer be updated. All knowledge content has moved to the new Veracross Community. Please update your bookmarks.
Roles define a person’s relationship to the school. People often have multiple roles associated with their record. Roles determine who a person is and is frequently the easiest way to search for certain types of people. Roles also determines the fields/data that display on a person’s record.
For example: a person with the role Student will have information/tabs related to their class records, grades, and enrollment history displayed on their person record, where a person with the role Parent will not have this information. Although each record is a person record, depending on the person’s role their detail screen may display different information.
One of the most commonly used fields in Veracross is the “All Roles” field. This field is displayed by default in the majority of reports in Veracross and displays in the menu toolbar on all person detail screens. In general, a person’s role(s) is calculated based off information entered on their person record. Schools can apply additional roles as needed on the Roles tab of a person’s record. Roles specified on this tab will always be associated with their record until removed. There are roles, however, that are system generated and only appear in the calculated Roles field. The Roles field is a calculated field that aggregates all the roles associated with the person into one list when running a person query. The field is calculated based on:
- Veracross defined Person roles (for a complete list see the Person Roles link under the Classification section on the System homepage)
- Profile codes
- Person groups
- Appendages to Veracross Person Roles
- Roles generated by relationships
Schools can add specific traits or classifications called profile codes that are not covered by the Veracross defined Person Roles and Person Groups. Profile codes can be configured to be included as part of the calculated roles field by selecting the ‘Include in Roles’ checkbox on the profile code detail screen. These codes will not be added as roles, but will be included in the calculated All Roles field when running person queries.
- Ex. Faculty, Department Chair
Roles calculated based on Person Groups primarily pertain to athletic teams. In order for an athletic team group to appear as part of the calculated All Roles field, the sport (or course) must be active and specified to “include in roles.”
- If the person is a student and is part of an athletic group, then the athletic group abbreviation (Team ID) will be appended to the role (e.g. Student (13), B-JV-Basketball).
Appendages to Veracross Defined Person Roles
Additional role information will calculate in the All Roles field depending on the information about the person in the system. These appendages are calculated only and are not added as Veracross defined person roles.
- If the person has the Student role, then the current grade will be appended (e.g. Student (13)).
- If the person has the Student role and a residence status of either boarding or day, then the boarding status –B or –D will be appended (e.g. Student (13-B)).
- If the person has the person classification “On Leave,” then this classification will be appended (e.g. Student (13) – ON LEAVE).
- If the person has the Former Student role, then the last year enrolled and graduation year will be appended (e.g. Frmr Student 11-12 (‘13)).
- If the person has the Alumni role, then their graduation year will be appended (e.g. Alum ‘12).
- If the person has the Future Student role, then the grade they are applying for will be appended (e.g. Ftr Student (14)).
- If the person has the Applicant – Former role, then the year they are applying for and application status will be appended (e.g. Applicant-Frmr (2013-D)). The application statuses are:
- A = accepted
- D = declined
- W = waitlisted
- W/D = withdrawn
Only the SysAdmin and Admissions security roles can view this role.
Person Roles Generated by Relationships
If no roles are specified, but the person has relationships to other members in the database, the system will calculate roles based on the known relationships. These are calculated roles only and are not added as Veracross defined Person Roles.
- If the person is a(n) student, former student, alumni, prospect, or applicant and is related to a staff/faculty member, then the following appendages are added to the role:
- csf: the person’s parent is a current staff/faculty member.
- rsf: the person is related to a current staff/faculty member.
- cfsf: the person’s parent is a former staff/faculty member.
- rfsf: the person is related to a former staff/faculty member.
- If the person is a(n) prospect, admissions lead, applicant, or other, then roles will be calculated based on the person’s relationship to others in the system:
- If the person is related to a student, then the “Relative of Student” role is calculated if no other relationship roles can be determined.
- If the person is related to an alum, then the role will calculate first on the spousal relationship (e.g. Wife of Alum), then the parental relationship (Child of Alum), and finally the “Relative of Alum” role is calculated if no other relationship roles can be determined.
- If the person is related to a current or former faculty/staff member, then the role is calculated first on the spousal relationship (e.g. Husband of Faculty or Husband of Former Staff/Faculty), then on the parent relationships (e.g. Child of Faculty or Child of Former Staff/Faculty), and finally the “Relative of Faculty” or “Relative of Staff/Faculty” role is calculated if no other relationship roles can be determined.
- If the person is related to a donor, then the role is calculated first on the spousal relationship (e.g. Wife of Donor), then the parental relationship (e.g. Child of Donor), and finally the “Relative of Donor” role is calculated if no other relationship roles can be determined.
Only the SystemAdmin and Development security roles can view this role.
If no role is calculated after the relationship roles are generated, then the “Other” role is assigned.
Security Role Visibility
Development roles can only be viewed by those with the Development_1/Development_2 security roles and Admissions roles can only be viewed by those with the Admissions_1 and Admissions_2/ security roles.